The other day I came home from work and I was starving. Trying to keep a healthy diet, I didn't want to order out so I looked around my pantry for ingredients to quickly make something. I found a bag of barley and also a few different vegetables in my refrigerator so I decided to make a salad. For a makeshift recipe that I just put together, it turned out really good!
- A handful of cherry red tomatoes
- A handful of small yellow heirloom tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 an avocado
- 3/4 can of kidney beans
- 1 cup of barley
- crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Cook the barley according to packaged directions. Usually, boil 1.5 cups of water to every cup of barley and add the barley when boiling. Put heat on low and let absorb for 30 minutes.
2. While the barley is cooking, wash and cut all the vegetables and strain and wash the kidney beans. Keep in mind, you can use any number of vegetables in the salad, these are just the ones I had in the fridge.
3. When the barley has cooked, drain and let it cool.
4. To make the dressing, whisk the honey and vinegars. Add in olive oil and salt and whisk.
5. Mix the barley, vegetables, and kidney beans.
6. Top with crumbled feta.