Isn't it supposed to be getting warmer here in LA? I'm spoiled with the weather here, so I'm still trying to cope with it. One of the ways I do this is through comfort foods and drinks...and what's more comforting in this cold than hot chocolate?! The powdered stuff is okay, but nothing comes close to the way I make my "fancy ass" hot chocolate. I use milk and diced dark chocolate to make this magic happen.
- 2 cups of milk (I use skim milk, but whole milk makes it more decadent)
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 ounces chopped dark chocolate
- 1 pinch of Ancho chile powder (optional)
- 1 pinch of salt
- Heat the cinnamon stick in the milk mixed with sugar and vanilla in a medium saucepan under low heat.
- Heat until the milk mixture gently simmers then take off the heat. Let it steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and discard.
- Chop the dark chocolate into small pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl. Heat the chocolate in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, mix after every 30 seconds until it is completely melted.
- Place the steeped milk over medium low heat and add the melted chocolate to it. Whisk until completely incorporated and mixture is hot.
- Add a pinch of salt and Ancho chile powder.
- Divide between mugs and top with marshmallows.
Makes 2 cups of hot chocolate.